Channel Commercials PLC Privacy Notice
This privacy notice describes how Channel Commercials PLC collects, processes and discloses your personal data when you use our website, buy products from us, utilise our services, enter into a contract with us or otherwise contact us.
If you contact us regarding our products, services or job opportunities you may be required to provide personal information to us. This is any information which could be used to identify you as an individual. For example, your name and contact details.
We collect this data to enable us to respond to your enquiry effectively and will process it in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). We only use it for its intended purpose and we won’t collect or store your data unnecessarily.
What information we collect
If you contact us regarding products / services we will collect your name, contact details and details of your vehicle(s) where relevant.
If you go on to make a purchase, set up an account or enter into a contract with us, we may need to process further personal information such as payment details, contact details for trade references or driver details.
If you apply for a job with us, we collect all the information you have provided on your application form and any additional documents you supply (i.e. identity documents, certificates and CVs).
Sometimes we might obtain data about you from a third party, including but not limited to:
- Your name and contact details if you’ve made an enquiry about our stock via a third party
- Your name, contact details and location if you’ve requested roadside assistance
- Your credit history & financial information if you apply for a credit account with us
- Data from our web hosting platform about how you’ve used our website
- Information provided to us through employment references
- Information passed to us if you request roadside assistance
See the ‘Cookies’ section, below, for information on what we collect when you browse our websites.
How we use your information
We process personal information in accordance with the six lawful basis set out in the GDPR. We’ll only use your data to the extent necessary to:
- perform or prepare a contract (including providing you with goods and services)
- follow up on a legitimate business interest (something you would reasonably expect your data to be used for, and which isn’t overruled by your rights – e.g. customer surveys)
- comply with a legal obligation (e.g. record keeping, right to work checks or registering new vehicles with VOSA)
- carry out other business activities with your consent (e.g. marketing or collecting technical data from cookies on our website – you can withdraw consent at any time)
- protect someone's safety
Sharing your data with third parties
There may be occasions when it is necessary to share your information with third parties in order to fulfil your requirements for products / services or to comply with a legal obligation.
Any third parties we pass your details onto are obliged to store your data securely and only use it as per the agreements which we have in place with them.
We won’t sell your data, pass it on to a third party without good cause or pass it on to a third party operating in a country without data protection laws.
Please contact us if you require information on third parties your data has been shared with.
How we store and secure your data
Your information will be held electronically on an IT network secured using measures in-line with technical guidance outlined in the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Sensitive / financial data are only accessible to authorised staff.
Any hard copies of your personal information which we retain will be kept on file in the relevant department, in areas only accessible to employees. Hard copies of sensitive data are kept secured and are only accessible to authorised staff.
Data Retention & Destruction
All data relating to financial transactions and contracts with us will be retained for 7 years after the date of the transaction / termination of the contract.
We may choose to retain this data for longer if the transaction was disputed, or has bearing on an insurance claim.
Customer and supplier contact details are kept indefinitely, unless you ask us to delete our records.
The personal information of unsuccessful job applicants will be held for six months. Successful candidates’ information will be transferred onto their employee record and retained in accordance with our employee data protection arrangements.
Hard copies of records are securely shredded.
Using Our Websites
www.channelcommercials.co.uk is hosted by G-forces, which means any data you provide to us through the website will also be captured by them. We have a contract in place with G-forces, allowing them to process your data only as authorised by us.
They will pass on your enquiry to us, store the data and analyse the way you’ve used our site (this analysis doesn’t use your personal information). After 30 days, they will anonymise the data they hold about you, so that it can no longer be used to identify you.
If you want to withdraw your consent for the use and storage of cookies, you can do this by changing your browser settings. You can find out more about how to do this at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Your Rights & Subject Access Requests
Under EU data protection laws, you (the data subject) have the right to:
- see what personal information we hold about you
- have any personal information we hold about you updated / corrected
- have any personal information we hold about you deleted (there are some exceptions)
- withdraw any consent you have given for us to use your data in certain ways (i.e. marketing)
- complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you aren’t happy with the way we’re processing your personal data
To exercise these rights, you’ll need to submit a written Subject Access Request (SAR). You’ll need to send your request to email@example.com or to: Data Protection, Channel Commercials PLC, Brunswick Road, Cobbs Wood Industrial Estate, Ashford TN23 1EH. Please include documentation to verify your identity. We can only amend or delete your data if we’re sure it’s you asking us to.
We then have 1 month to respond to your request. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
For further guidance on submitting a SAR, visit the ICO’s website at www.ico.org.uk/for-the-public/.
Channel Commercials may amend this notice in future. If we make significant changes to the way we wish to use your data we will provide a notice on the website or contact you directly.